About the KHP Internship Program:
Internships are defined as a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting. Internship give students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields that they are considering for career paths; and give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate talent. – Bridge: Connecting Academia, Business and Community
At the Kentucky Horse Park, students enrolled in the Internship Program are combining their knowledge of the equine industry with practical experience, leadership, and responsibility while building personal and professional relationships through networking. Students enrolled in the KHP Internship Program are exposed to over 40 different breeds of horses, 6 barns featuring various disciplines, over 800,000 visitors, 150 special events and countless opportunities to meet professionals in the industry.
The program serves as a way for Kentucky students to obtain practical on-the-job experience and academic credit as part of their education. Co-op/Interns are employees in the unclassified service (without merit status). In order for a student to participate in the Co-op/Intern Program, the Personnel Cabinet requires that the student receive academic credit for their participation.The Kentucky Horse Park does not provide housing or stipends.
What type of internship opportunities are at the Kentucky Horse Park?
KHP Special Events (Unavailable for Fall 2020 & Spring 2021)
KHP Marketing & Public Relations (Unavailable for Fall 2020 & Spring 2021)
What are the requirements?
- Must be enrolled as a student of a college or university, with a GPA of 2.5 or above.
- Complete KHP Internship Application and Waiver at kyhorsepark.com and send Cover Letter and Resume to Internship Director. If selected for the program, must complete KY Personnel application and Academic Credit Agreement.
- Attend an interview, orientation, and tour.
- Must complete 160 hours over an 8 week period.
- Record all internship hours using VicNet database.
- Volunteer for a minimum of 3 KHP special events.
- Complete a midterm and final survey and evaluation.
- Weekly meetings with KHP Internship Director.
- Must have moderate equine skills and knowledge.
- Must be able to lift 45lbs above shoulders and physically able to walk several miles daily.
How do I apply for an internship at the Kentucky Horse Park?
- Complete the KHP online application and waiver.
- Send resume, cover letter and availability to [email protected]
Once the application is received, the Internship Director will be in touch to set up an interview. If a student is selected for an internship, phase 2 of the application is required.
- Complete the online Personnel application.
- Send completed Academic Credit Agreement (*must be signed by advisor) and unofficial transcript to KHP Internship Director.
*Please note: students may only apply to one internship position. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
When are the Internship Sessions?
Summer 2020 Internships: May 25-August 21
Fall 2020 Internships: September 28-December 11
Spring 2021 Internships: February 1-April 30
Summer 2021 Internships: May 17-August 27
Fall 2021 Internships: September 6-December 10
*Internship schedules are fairly flexible and will be created individually with each student and supervisor. The KHP Internship Manager and Supervisors are happy to work with students to complete school projects or meet specific requirements.
Who do I contact with questions about the Internship Program?
Internship Program Director