About the KHP Internship Program:
Internships are defined as a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting. Internship give students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields that they are considering for career paths; and give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate talent. – Bridge: Connecting Academia, Business and Community
At the Kentucky Horse Park, students enrolled in the Internship Program are combining their knowledge of the equine industry with practical experience, leadership, and responsibility while building personal and professional relationships through networking. Students enrolled in the KHP Internship Program are exposed to over 40 different breeds of horses, 6 barns featuring various disciplines, over 800,000 visitors, 150 special events and countless opportunities to meet professionals in the industry.
This is an unpaid internship for class credit only. The Kentucky Horse Park does not provide housing or stipends.
What type of internship opportunities are at the Kentucky Horse Park?
KHP Special Events (unavailable for summer 2020)
KHP Marketing & Public Relations (unavailable for summer 2020)
What are the requirements?
- Must be enrolled as a student of a college or university, with a GPA of 2.5 or above.
- Complete State of Kentucky Co-Op/Intern Application and Academic Credit Agreement.
- Complete KHP Internship Application and Waiver at kyhorsepark.com
- Attend an interview, orientation, and tour.
- Must complete 160 hours over an 8 week period.
- Record all internship hours using VicNet database.
- Volunteer for a minimum of 3 KHP special events.
- Complete a midterm and final survey and evaluation.
- Weekly meetings with KHP Internship Manager.
- Must have moderate equine skills and knowledge.
- Must be able to lift 45lbs above shoulders and physically able to walk several miles daily.
How do I apply for an internship at the Kentucky Horse Park?
1. Complete the online State of Kentucky Co-Op/Internship Application.
*Please note: students may only apply to one internship position. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
When are the Internship Sessions?
Spring 2020 Internships: February 3-April 25
Summer 2020 Internships: May 25-August 21
Fall 2020 Internships: September 28-December 11
*Internship schedules are fairly flexible, and will be created individually with each student and supervisor. The KHP Internship Manager and Supervisors are happy to work with students to complete school projects or meet specific requirements.
Who do I contact with questions about the Internship Program?
Volunteer & Internship Coordinator