The Kentucky Sundown is an exclusive, after-hours program for convention and motorcoach groups that showcases the beauty and serenity of the Kentucky Horse Park’s grounds. This private, evening program is available from April through October and it provides guests with an opportunity to tour the facility and enjoy some famous Kentucky hospitality in the heart of Bluegrass horse country. Each program is tailored to fit the particular schedule of the group and may include the following attractions and activities:
WELCOME - Upon your arrival here at our 1,200 acre park you will be welcomed by park staff and your guests will receive a souvenir bandana to remind them of their visit.
HAYRIDE – Relax on a bale of hay atop a tractor-pulled wagon and take in the unique view of this immaculate horse farm set in the gently rolling hills of the Bluegrass. (weather permitting)
WALKING FARM TOUR – Explore the grounds of this real working farm and enjoy the beautiful Bluegrass countryside at sundown. Visit the burial site of the legendary Man o’ War and famed 19th century jockey, Isaac Burns Murphy. (weather permitting)
INTERNATIONAL MUSEUM OF THE HORSE – Discover more than 50-million years of equine history and learn about the special relationship between mankind and the horse.
MOVIE PRESENTATION – REIN OF NOBILITY – Narrated by actor and horseman William Shatner, this twelve-minute film brings the story of the horse to vibrant life, and serves as an introduction to the special world of the horse that can be experienced throughout the park.
TASTE OF THE BLUEGRASS – Choose from a variety of delicious menus, each filled with traditional Kentucky fare. The causal buffet option allows everyone to help themselves.
OPTIONAL ADDITIONS (*weather permitting):
GIFT SHOP – If you are looking for gifts for family or friends, the gift shop has a great selection of apparel, toys, jewelry and souvenirs, including the largest permanent Breyer store in the country. (Open for one hour for groups of 150 or more, or at manager discretion. Visit to start by 6 p.m.)
EQUINE MEET & GREET* – A perfect chance to get “up close and personal” with two of our equine residents in the courtyard before dinner. (Approximately 60-minutes - $400.00; fee waived for groups of 150 or more. Visit must start no later than 7 p.m. Extensions beyond this time will incur a surcharge.)
HALL OF CHAMPIONS PRESENTATION* – The Hall of Champions is home to our retired “equine millionaires”. View a select group of racing royalty while listening to an impressive presentation of the horse’s background and racing history. (Approximately 30-minutes - $800.00. Show must start no later than 7 p.m. Extensions beyond this time will incur a surcharge.)
PARADE OF BREEDS SHOW* – Watch an entertaining demonstration and narrative of the history and uses of some of the park’s equine breeds with costumed riders. (Approximately 45-minutes- $2,000. Show must start no later than 7 p.m. Extensions beyond this time will incur a surcharge.)
2018 DINNER OPTIONS
Menu options include eco-friendly plate-ware, cutlery and beverage service. Menus are based on a minimum of thirty-five (35) guests per event and are inclusive of server staffing. Additional menu options, hors d’oeuvres menus and bar options are available upon request.
MENU #1 - $50.00 per person
- Cracked-Pepper and Dill Coleslaw (V)
- Southern Red Skin Potato Salad with Sour Cream and Chives (V)
- Brown-Sugar Baked Beans
- Hickory-Smoked Pulled Pork with Apple Cider BBQ
- Kaiser Rolls and Corn Muffins
- Granny Smith Apple Bars and Homemade Chess Bars
- Iced Tea and Lemonade
MENU #2 - $55.00 per person
- Kentucky Caesar Salad with Local Heirloom Tomatoes, Crumbled Goat Cheese, Pickled Red Onion and Cucumber, Herb Croutons and Smoked Tomato Parmesan Dressing (V)
- Southern Green Beans with Caramelized Onions (V)
- Roasted Garlic Whipped Yukon Potatoes (V)
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Cracked Pepper Gravy
- Hot Brown Casserole with White Cheddar Mornay Sauce and Applewood Bacon
- Cheddar and Herb Biscuits with Whipped Butter
- Kentucky Bread Pudding with Butterscotch and Bourbon Caramel
- Iced Tea and Lemonade
MENU #3 - $60.00 per person
- Crisp Field Greens and Arugula Salad with Julienned Bell Pepper, Shaved Red Cabbage, Crisp Sugar Snap Peas, Creamy Cucumber Dressing and Bloody Mary Vinaigrette (V)
- Fresh Broccoli and Grape Salad with Marinated Red Onion, Bell Pepper and Honey Poppy Seed Vinaigrette (V)
- Local Summer Squash and Zucchini Parmesan (V)
- Rosemary Roasted Red Skin Potatoes (V)
- French-Cut Chicken Breast Herb-Roasted with Local Goat Cheese, Blistered Local Heirloom Tomatoes and Fresh Basil
- Dinner Rolls with Whipped Butter
- Tuxedo Mousse Cheesecake and Citrus Mousse Shooters with Candied Lemon, Pistachio and Raspberry Glaze
- Iced Tea and Lemonade
- Reservations must be made in advance and are subject to availability.
- All groups must meet a minimum of 35 paid adults for billing purposes – rate charged based on menu.
- Above rates valid through December 2019.
- Arrival time between 3:00 and 6:00 pm; departure no later than 10:00 p.m., unless waived by park.
- Signed confirmation, along with a $150 non-refundable deposit must be received within three weeks of booking to guarantee date.
- A final, guaranteed count of the number of attendees is due no later than 14 days before event date.
- Payment is due in full at the time final count is given.
CONTACT: Lisa Jackson, 859.259.4224, firstname.lastname@example.org